The Land Rover DC100 Concept At A Glance
For all our fans and readers who have been asking for more information about the Land Rover DC100 concept, here is an outline of it at a glance:
- Two new concepts from Land Rover investigate the potential future design direction of the iconic Defender.
- Three-abreast ‘social seating’ is inspired by the very first Land Rovers.
- Cutting-edge sustainable, hi-tech materials taken from luxury yachts, private jets and even the Space Shuttle.
- The concepts capture the flexibility, adaptability and configurability that have always been key attributes of Land Rover and continue in today’s Defender.
- – DC100 demonstrates the future of Land Rover capability and versatility.
- - DC100 Sport is an active expression of freedom and leisure.
- The Terrain-i scanning device warns the driver of obstacles when off-roading and can suggest alternative routes.
- Wade Aid uses sonar technology to assess water depth and advise the driver of optimum speed.
- Intelligent next-generation Land Rover Terrain Response system automatically optimises the car for any environment.
- Driver-activated spiked tyre system can be deployed at the touch of a button.
- Future paint technologies will allow for self-cleaning and healing bodywork.
- Both concepts are based on the same lightweight, mixed-alloy platform.
- Permanent four-wheel drive with an eight-speed transmission, Intelligent Start/Stop and a transfer case.
- Driveline Disconnect physically decouples the rear axle to save fuel when all-wheel drive is not required.
- 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines with hybrid and plug-in capabilities.
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Leisure key is a waterproof, lightweight alternative to the control fob.
- Always-on connectivity and telematics allow for car-to-smartphone, car-to-car and car-to-base communication.
- Built-in induction charging stations throughout the concepts.
- Production of the new Defender planned for 2015.